Sunday, July 03, 2005

the war inside me

As i stare into the night
i can tell there's gonna be a fight
between myself and who i am
Christ in me and my soul that was damned
i look away and try to push aside
the doubting thoughts that swell inside
but all along i somehow know
ignoring these thoughts just makes them grow
so i turn back and start to speak
but i fall down; i am so weak
i feel Christ's hands lift me to my feet
and He says "Follow me: we will defeat!"
so as we go i yeild my soul
though its not my own, i now feel whole
i have to face this spiritual test:
will i trust God's way as best?
or will i turn and try to fly
with my sin like anchors chained to my side
He says "Have no fear. You will overcome.
With Me by your side, all things can be done."
so he shed my shame and my shackles fall down
i watch them sink into his blood on the ground
and i realize that the death He died
makes me able to fight at my Risen King's side
these doubts i must face and fight till they're dead
like Christ faced the serpent and crushed his head
though its not easy and sometimes brings pain
i choose to focus on the ultimate gain
one day in Heaven i will sit at His feet
with joy He'll look down and He'll smile at me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nata said...

SWEET!! That is one awesome poem! Joe, there's so much truth in it that it makes me shiver. i'd never thought of the fact that we can't even face the decision to follow Christ without His help. very well done.

i also noticed how you don't capitalise i but you will capitalize any reference to God. humbling...

Sunday, July 03, 2005 8:41:00 PM  
Blogger yoshi said...

just trying to keep my perspective straight...been thinkin about this one for a long time. sometimes i get back up, sometimes i just lay there. hopefully, i'm getting better at getting up and not falling down. thats my prayer.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 8:54:00 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

that was awesome!! so good..

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 4:33:00 PM  
Blogger yoshi said...

maybe God lets my inspiration come at the right time so that you readers can benifit from it. or maybe i just have extremely good timing. prob both. in any case, this is stuff that just comes up and i decide to write about it. glad you all like it.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 10:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home